Mortal Kombat 11 Update Lessens The Grind
The first major update for Mortal Kombat 11 is slowly rolling out and some of the changes might come as a relief for those who have been frustrated with the amount of grinding it takes to unlock everything you want. On deck for this update is not only your usual batch of small fixes and improvements, but also an increase to the rewards both post-fight and from the Towers of Time.
Players will be earning two to three times more rewards from these activities, as the patch’s changes will net you more of all types of in-game currency. If that wasn’t enough, NetherRealm Studios is also handing out a “Community Gift” to all players that will contain 500,000 Koins, 1,000 Souls, 1,000 Time Crystals, and 500 Hearts. It’s the studio’s way of saying thanks to the community for being patient while they worked these issues out. This will be given as the update rolls out on each platform.
NetherRealm has received blowback over how it implemented Mortal Kombat 11’s in-game currency rewards and how those currencies were used in the game’s Krypt. Players complained that the time investment required to unlock the game’s hundreds of skins was compounded by the random nature of unlockable cosmetics, augments, and other items found in the Krypt. Similarly, the Towers of Time mode has been criticized for pushing players to use consumable items to overcome extremely difficult (and not-at-all-fun) challenges.
Additionally, the developer has made a number of changes to the Towers of Time, both in terms of rewards and its overall mechanics. Among the revamps provided in this update are the difficulty, Konsumables, and earnings from completing these challenges. It should be a more player-friendly and rewarding experience all around with these improvements.
This update doesn’t solve every issue with the underlying system for unlocking rewards, but it’s certainly a step in the right direction for a game that’s drawn criticism for its lengthy grind and the frustrating random nature of its collectibles. You can read the update notes in full below.
General Gameplay Adjustments:
- Fixed an exploit that allowed for more than one variation of a character to be set as default, which could then result in an online desync when trying to select that character
- Fixed a rare issue that occurred if the user lost internet connectivity while customizing their character, which would sometimes result in that variation being saved with some items being locked
- Fixed a rare issue that was affecting some user progression after using Kenshi’s blindfold in the Krypt to fully drain their Soul Fragments
- Move list and frame data corrections
- Integrated launch day gameplay server-side data
- Tweaks to online match-making
- AI adjustments
- Fixed a rare crash involving trying to use quick moves list in story mode
- Fixed a rare crash in the Totem Pole tower in The Gauntlet
- Fixed a crash related to pausing and unpausing the game
- Corrected some incorrect instruction text in tutorial mode
- Enabled Dev Slayer functionality
- Kitana’s Fans will no longer sometimes remain invisible if she is interrupted out of Edenian Fade with specific timing
- Hotfix server data will no longer sometimes become invalid when the game is booted up online
- Fixed a rare crash involving using a consumable near a chest in The Krypt
- Increased rewards for breakables in The Krypt
- Adjusted rewards from AI Battle mode
- Increased Koin rewards for winning Ranked Matches
Towers of Time Adjustments:
- Adjusted AI difficulty curve
- Further opponent health reductions in higher level Towers
- Performing a Fatal Blow while standing in an active modifier will no longer sometimes cause unexpected behavior or a crash
- Ice based modifiers will no longer attempt to freeze players during invalid states
- Adjusted and removed modifiers from many Daily Towers
- Increased Koin Rewards for kompleting Towers and Tower Platforms
- Increased Dragon Challenge Koin rewards
- Increased post fight Koin rewards
- Increased amount of Hearts earned from Fatalities, Brutalities, and Mercies
- Lowered modifier damage for many modifiers
- Adjusted the lifespan of several modifiers
- Dramatically increased cooldowns on Tag Assist modifiers
- Fixed a missing Reduced Damage modifier in The Gauntlet
- Several Gift/Curse Modifiers are now considered projectiles allowing them to interact with moves that effect projectiles as intended
- Adjusted Gauntlet difficulty and progression requirements
- Disabler Konsumables now work with all intended modifiers
- Improved targeting for several Konsumables
- Sektor Hunter Killer Protocol Modifier is now disabled by the Rocket Disabler Konsumable
- Corrected some multipliers on Augments for some characters which were inconsistent with others
- Fixed incorrect Armor interactions with some Modifiers
- Decreased Konsumable cooldowns for players
This update is currently live on PlayStation 4 and is slowly rolling out to other platforms as certifications are completed. The community gifts will be handed out for each console along these same time frames, so be sure to log in and grab yours before the morning of May 6th when it expires.