Riot Games Officially Reveals VALORANT
In October 2019, Riot Games, the iconic studio behind League of Legends, announced a full slate of new games coming over the next several years. While nearly every game is set in the League of Legends universe, one title, codenamed “Project A” was said to exist in a new universe, as a completely new IP. Today, Riot Games announced both a name and release window for its shooter: Project A is officially called Valorant, and it will launch on PC this summer. Valorant is described as a “free-to-play game of precise skill, high stakes, lethal gameplay and clutch moments”, so Riot is really hammering home the competitive aspect of this. Speaking of which, similarly to Counter-Strike, competitive matches are played out in a attackers vs defenders fashion in a ‘best of 24 rounds’ format. You can check out a gameplay video preview below:
In VALORANT, players choose from a diverse cast of hypernatural, battle-ready agents from real-world cultures and locations, each bringing a set of unique abilities that complement gunplay through tactical information and strategic support, changing the way players approach a situation. Abilities are designed to create tactical opportunities for players to take the right shot.
Лето 2020 pic.twitter.com/A7BnCpGhFV
— VALORANT (@PlayVALORANT) March 2, 2020
“Throughout VALORANT’s development, we wanted to uphold the fundamental values of a competitive tactical shooter: precise shooting, lethal gunplay, and strategic execution,” said the game’s Executive Producer, Anna Donlon. “By adding unique character abilities that complement the game’s gunplay we believe we’re expanding upon the traditional tac shooter experience and bringing something new to the genre – and we hope the launch of VALORANT will be the start of a long-term relationship with tactical FPS fans from around the world.”
Valorant is Riot Games’ first foray into the FPS genre, with a character shooter that focuses on gunplay first, while character abilities have been said will be used tactically in a supplementary role to shooting. The official Valorant website describes the game “tactical shooter meets hypernatural powers.”
“Everyone’s got guns and a unique set of abilities, so how do you beat someone with the speed of wind? Use your own moves to outplay them and beat them to the shot.
“Valorant is a game for bold strategists who dare to make the unexpected play, because if it wins, it works.”
What characters will be playable in Valorant?
Valorant is set in a completely different universe to League of Legends, so fans of Riot’s other games shouldn’t expect any crossover between the FPS title and other franchises.
Instead, a fresh cast, set on Earth, will be taking aim. Each character has a set of four abilities, including a Signature Ability and an Ultimate. Eight characters were revealed in Riot’s official announcement on March 2.
Phoenix’s star power shines through in his fighting style, igniting the battlefield with flash and flare. Whether he’s got backup or not, he’s rushing in to fight on his own terms.
- Hot Hands – Throw a fireball that explodes after a delay or upon impact with the ground. The fire zone damages enemies, and heals you.
- Blaze – Cast out a flame wall that blocks vision and damages anyone passing through it. You can bend the wall when casting by turning while holding left click.
- Signature Ability: Curveball– Cast a curving flare that bursts into brilliant light after a brief delay, temporarily blinding all looking at it. Left click curves it left, right click curves it right.
- Ultimate Ability: Run it Back – Mark your current location. If you die during this ability’s duration, or when this ability’s duration expires, you’ll be reborn at the marked location with full health.
Jett’s agile and evasive fighting style lets her take risks no one else can. She runs circles around every skirmish, cutting enemies up before they even know what hit them.
- Cloudburst – Throw out a cloud of fog that obscures vision on impact. Hold down the ability button to bend the cloud’s in-flight trajectory.
- Updraft – After a brief wind up, propel yourself upwards.
- Signature Ability: Tailwind – Immediately dash a short distance in the direction you’re moving.
- Ultimate: Blade Storm – Arm yourself with several deadly throwing knives that deal moderate damage and kill on headshots. Scoring a kill restores all daggers. Left click throws a single dagger. Right click throws all remaining daggers in a short-ranged burst.
Viper deploys an array of poisonous chemical devices to control the battlefield and cripple the enemy’s vision. If the toxins don’t kill her prey, her mind games surely will.
- Snakebite – Fire a projectile that explodes into a pool of damaging acid.
- Poison Cloud – Throw a gas emitter that you can reactivate to create a poisonous smoke cloud at the cost of fuel. The emitter can be picked up and thrown again after a short cooldown.
- Signature Ability: Toxic Screen – Deploy a long line of gas emitters that you can reactivate to create a tall wall of toxic gas at the cost of fuel.
- Ultimate: Viper’s Pit – Emit a massive toxic cloud in a large area that lasts as long as Viper stays inside the cloud. Enemies inside the cloud are highlighted to Viper.
Sova tracks, finds, and eliminates enemies with ruthless efficiency and precision. His custom bow and incredible scouting abilities ensure that even if you run, you cannot hide.
- Shock Bolt – Fire an explosive bolt that emits a damaging pulse of static energy upon impact.
- Owl Drone – Deploy a pilotable drone that can fire a dart that will Reveal enemies who are hit.
- Signature Ability: Recon Bolt – Fire a bolt that deploys a sonar emitter. The sonar pings tag nearby enemies, causing them to be revealed. Can be destroyed.
- Ultimate: Hunter’s Fury – Fire up to three deadly energy blasts that spear across the entire map. Each hit enemy takes heavy damage and is marked.
Cypher is a one-man surveillance network who keeps tabs on the enemy’s every move. No secret is safe. No maneuver goes unseen. Cypher is always watching.
- Free Ability: Trapwire – Place a stealthed tripwire between two walls. Triggering enemies are restrained and revealed for a short time. If the trap is not destroyed, it activates to daze the trapped victim. Can be picked up.
- Cyber Cage – Toss out a remote activation trap. Reactivate to create a cage that slows enemies who pass through it. Look at a trap and press USE to detonate it, or hold ACTIVATE to detonate all.
- Signature Ability: Spycam – Place a remote camera. After placing, reactivate to view the video feed. Left click while in camera to fire a tracking dart. Recharges when picked up or killed.
- Ultimate: Neural Theft – Extract information from the corpse of an enemy, revealing the location of their living allies.
Brimstone’s orbital arsenal ensures his squad always has the advantage. His ability to deliver utility precisely and safely make him the unmatched boots-on-the-ground commander.
- Incindiary – Launch an incendiary grenade that deploys a damaging field of fire.
- Stim Beacon – Target a nearby location to call in a Stim Beacon, giving all players near it Rapidfire.
- Signature Ability: Sky Smoke – Use your map to call in orbital deployment smokescreens that obscure vision. Click to set the locations, and confirm to launch.
- Ultimate: Orbital Strike – Use your map to target a location, launching a devastating orbital strike that pulses for high damage over several seconds.
Sage creates safety for herself and her team wherever she goes. Able to revive fallen friends and stave off forceful assaults, she provides a calm center to a hellish battlefield.
- Slow Orb – Cast out a radianite orb that breaks into a slowing field upon impact with the ground. All caught in the field are slowed, grounded, and make noise when moving.
- Barrier Orb – Conjure a large, solid wall. Right-click to rotate the wall before casting.
- Signature Ability: Healing Orb – Heal an ally or yourself to full health over a few seconds.
- Ultimate: Resurrection – Target a friendly corpse. After a short delay, revive them with full health.
Omen hunts in the shadows. He renders enemies blind, teleports across the field, then lets paranoia take hold as foes scramble to uncover where it might strike next.
- Paranoia – Send out an Ethereal shadow in a straight line, Nearsighting anyone it touches.
- Shadow Walk – After a delay, dematerialize and teleport a short distance.
- Signature Ability: Dark Cover – Cast out a stealthed ethereal orb that bursts into an obscuring sphere of shadow at its final location. Can be charged to increase distance.
- Ultimate: From the Shadows – Select anywhere on the map to teleport and reform. When arriving, appear as a Shade, that will go back to your original location if killed. Once the teleport is complete, become Incorporeal for a short time.
VALORANT is a competitive 5v5 character-based tactical shooter for the PC, currently in development at Riot Games. Set to launch around the globe for most regions in Summer 2020, VALORANT is a precise and lethal multiplayer game with high-fidelity gunplay, a diverse arsenal of guns, agents with unique abilities, and competitively tuned maps for thousands of hours of play.
VALORANT is a free-to-play game and optimized to perform on a wide variety of PC hardware, allowing for a global audience to compete. Demonstrated by the game’s best-in-class game server quality, global infrastructure, and proprietary anti-cheat technology, Riot Games is committed to preserving the core tenets of the tactical shooter genre and upholding the competitive integrity of the gameplay experience.
Minimum PC specs for Valorant were also made available:
- Recommended Specs – 60 frames per second:
- CPU: Intel i3-4150
- GPU: Geforce GT 730
- High-end Specs – 144+ frames per second:
- CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz
- GPU: GTX 1050 Ti
- Minimum Spec – 30 frames per second:
- CPU: Intel i3-370M
- GPU: Intel HD 3000
- PC hardware recommendations:
- Windows 7/8/10 64-bit
- 4GB RAM
- 1GB of VRAM
VALORANT, previously known by its codename “Project A,” is set to release Summer 2020 for PC.