Serious Sam 4 Delayed Into September 24
Serious Sam 4 will reportedly feature hundreds of thousands of enemies on screen at once, but you’ll need to wait a bit longer before you can mow them down. Croteam announced today that the game’s original August release window will be missed, but we now have a firm date September 24. Humanity is under siege as the full force of Mental’s horde spreads across the world, ravaging what remains of a broken and beaten civilization. The last remaining resistance to the invasion is the Earth Defence Force led by Sam “Serious” Stone and his heavily-armed squad of misfit commandos.
The game was originally planned for August launch window, but needed a slight delay. No specific reason was given, though the announcement video via twitter and embedded below is amusing enough to quell some of the pain, and anyway, it’s not a big delay.
I'm so ready to throw down! pic.twitter.com/BJB2ZJHdJC
— Serious Sam (@SeriousSamIAm) August 6, 2020
Serious Sam 4 is actually a prequel to the series and tells the story of humanity under siege as Mental’s hordes spread across the world. Leading the fight against the invasion is the Earth Defense Force led by Sam “Serious” Stone and a group of like-minded commandos.
During gameplay, players will fight against alien invaders once against as Mental’s minions reemerge, including Headless Kamikaze, Beheaded Rocketeer, Kleer, Scrapjack, Werebull, and Khnum. There will also be new enemies added to the game, including Processed, Belcher, and Brute Zealot.
Players can have their pick from a variety of weapons to take out enemies using a double-barreled shotgun, minigun, chainsaw launcher, auto shotgun, or cannon. Each weapon can be upgraded with the inclusion of a lock-on rocket launcher and laser beam.
Serious Sam 4 also features a co-op mode where up to 4-players can play through the campaign online with added difficulty levels.
Here is an overview of Serious Sam 4, via its Steam page:
- Humanity is under siege as the full force of Mental’s hordes spread across the world, ravaging what remains of a broken and beaten civilization. The last remaining resistance to the invasion is the Earth Defense Force led by Sam “Serious” Stone and his heavily-armed squad of misfit commandos.
- Croteam returns with a high-powered prequel to the Serious Sam series that scales up chaos to unprecedented levels. The classic Serious Sam formula is revamped by putting an unstoppable arsenal up against an unimaginable number of enemies that requires players to circle-strafe and backpedal-blast their way out of impossible situations.
- Hordes of Invaders – The iconic cast of alien invaders returns with some new reinforcements! Fight your way through unbelievable numbers of Mental’s minions including the iconic Headless Kamikaze, Beheaded Rocketeer, Kleer, Scrapjack, Werebull, and Khnum! Square off against brand new enemies and towering monsters like the frantic Processed, repulsive Belcher, the hard-hitting Zealot, and more.
- Explosive Arsenal – Armed with a slew of devastating weapons, pick your tool for any situation. Lay waste to Mental’s Horde using the powerful double-barreled shotgun, the punishing minigun, the powerful chainsaw launcher, a brand new auto shotgun, and the iconic cannon. Upgrade your toys, and enjoy the violent beauty of the lock-on rocket launcher, and the mighty laser beam of death.
- Cooperative Mayhem – Smash through the action-packed campaign with friends in four-player online co-op mode! Tackle exciting primary missions and thrilling side quests in modified difficulties for an extra challenge.
- Legion System – Serious Sam 4 unleashes some of the biggest moments in the series’ history with the new Legion System and battlefields teeming with thousands of enemies!
No console versions of the shooter have been announced as of yet.