Street Fighter V Champion Edition Coming In February 2020
Capcom will release a new version of Street Fighter 5, dubbed the Champion Edition version, on Feb. 14, 2020. That update to the fighting game will include 40 characters, 34 stages, and more than 200 costumes for what Capcom is calling “the most robust version” of Street Fighter 5 yet. At the conclusion of the Capcom Pro Tour 2019 North American Regional Finals in Las Vegas, Street Fighter series executive producer and Blanka lover Yoshinori Ono took the stage to share the next highly anticipated announcement for Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition. The next character to join the roster is Gill, the main boss of Street Fighter III and the leader of the secret Illuminati organization. Gill is a master of both pyrokinesis and cryokinesis, which is reflected in the perfect symmetry of his colorful and buff body. Gill is ready to step out of the shadows of his Secret Society and revel himself to the world, and his moveset of ice and fire skills looks super cool. Hopefully he won’t be crazy overpowered compared to the (mostly) mortal roster.
Street Fighter V: Champion Edition will be available physically and digitally on PS4 for MSRP $29.99 beginning on February 14, 2020. Anyone who pre-orders Champion Edition on PS4 in North America (other territories may vary) will receive a static theme (digital purchase only) and a fierce-looking new costume color for each character. For current owners of any version of Street Fighter V, an Upgrade Kit for MSRP $24.99 grants you instant access to all available Champion Edition content as it becomes available leading up to the launch date.
As always, all game mode additions and balance updates are free for owners of any Street Fighter V version. In fact, all-new V-Skills (V-Skill II) are being added for each character and, along with a new balance update, will be available for free to current players in December. All DLC characters can still be purchased separately or earned free-of-charge by completing various in-game challenges and receiving Fight Money.
Champion Edition also heralds the return of Gill, a master of both Pyrokinesis and Cryokinesis who is able to control fire and ice with perfect elemental balance (hence his outward appearance). All of his heavy normal attacks, and all but one of his special moves, have an elemental alignment. When Gill throws out a fierce punch, it’ll be engulfed in flames, and when he lets fly with a standing roundhouse, it’ll hit opponents with a frozen force. Gill is ready to reveal himself to the world as part of Street Fighter V: Champion Edition on February 14, 2020, or he can be acquired separately starting in December for MSRP $5.99 or 100,000 Fight Money.
Some Key Features:
- What’s Included: Street Fighter V: Champion Edition includes all content from the original release and Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition, plus each character, stage and other content that released after Arcade Edition and the content launching with Champion Edition. In total, this robust version of Street Fighter V includes: 40 characters, 34 stages and over 200 costumes.
- New Features: In addition to the main game and the included characters, stages and costumes, the following new content will be released for Street Fighter V: Champion Edition and will be available as a free update to current players prior to the release of Champion Edition:
- New V-Skills: Each character will receive a new V-Skill 2, adding even more depth to the combat system.
- Balance Update: New gameplay improvements and character-specific updates.
- New Challengers: 11 new challengers (including Gill) have been added to the game after Arcade Edition and will be included in Champion Edition, with one additional soon-to-be announced character bringing the total to 12. All downloadable content characters released after the original version are available for current players by using earned Fight Money or real money.
- PlayStation 4 and PC Cross-Platform Play: Current players and future owners of Street Fighter V: Champion Edition will be placed into the same player pool, with PlayStation 4 and PC cross-platform play continuing to unite fans into a unified player base.
- Stay Updated: The initial Street Fighter V purchase is still the only one that consumers need to make to ensure they always have the most up-to-date version of the title.
Capcom will sell Street Fighter 5: Champion Edition for $29.99, but existing players can upgrade to that version of the game for $24.99. Street Fighter 5: Champion Edition will also include a new fighter, Gill from Street Fighter 3, who’s coming to the game this December.